Skip to main content

Self-Compassion, the first step to Wellness

     You open the door for an elderly sick person.  You offer your condolences to a friend who just lost a family member to cancer.  You listen to someone who is alone and in despair after the breakup of their relationship.  You hold a crying child in your arms.  In these examples, compassion is being given to someone in pain.   Compassion is bringing a sensitivity to someone's pain with a desire to help.
My children on my wedding day

     If you are on the giving side of compassion, you know that feeling, the feeling of warmness and caring in your heart.  It's such a very good feeling.  So why not treat yourself to some of it? I mean aren't you the one who has the most power and responsibility for your own wellbeing?

     While the experience of giving compassion may appear rewarding only to the recipient, there are rewards for the giver as well.  As the giver, you actually lower stress and calm your body.  Basically, it's a win-win situation for both parties.  

     Therefore, don't limit giving compassion to others.  Give it to yourself to feel the full power of being the giver and the receiver together.   It's not as complicated as you may think.  

    This is especially important for those of us who do not (or did not growing up) receive a lot of compassion from others.  

     If that is you, then you will especially benefit from what I am about to say.   Give compassion to yourself!  It's called self-compassion and there is a big deficit of it in the people I come across, starting with myself.   Many out there who look happy are anything but that underneath.  Learning self-compassion is not easy or else a lot of would be doing more of it.  Accepting that we feel stressed, unhappy, tired or mistreated is a starting point for bringing compassion to your pain.  The good thing is that it's never too late to choose self-compassion.  As with most things, there is a process to it which takes commitment.  That commitment is to yourself.  Don't fear if you feel resistant-  that is a natural reaction.  

     Self-compassion has all kinds of health benefits.   One of the most significant is that it makes you more resilient or able to bounce back and continue to move forward.   In addition, it lowers self-criticism and builds up self-worth, which then helps you be more successful achieving your goals and meeting challenges ahead.  Seems like something good to try.  As I read this, I wondered why don't I do more of it then? How could I overlook this incredible healing power for so long?  Ironically, I was being self-critical as I read how not to be self-critical.  
   
     When I read this in my research, I thought I have some catching up to do with self-compassion.  But I didn't want to be too hard on myself either.  After all, I was learning about self-compassion.  Self-compassion may sound a bit abstract but in essence it's about being on your side and looking after yourself.   This is not an us versus them mentality either.  In fact, the more self-compassion you have the more you are able to give to others in need.  

     There are exercises to bring compassion to your pain and I tried one out today.  It felt a bit weird doing these steps but I found it to be very effective.  For a few seconds I felt how much I mattered.  Now I have to need try it again to get my self-compassion fix.  I invite you to read my next post on doing the exercise itself.

Eddie Grassi
Life Coach.  lifecoachingaid.com
#hardwirehappinesstoday
eddiegrassi10@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resistance to Taking in the Good

Eddie Grassi, Point Lobos CA August July 29, 2018 Do you remember the last time you refused something really good? While it may sound counterintuitive, people do it all the time. We resist the opportunity to take in the good.  Even though it is all around us, like low hanging fruit, we may have our reasons not to accept it.  The invitation to let in the good isn't always a given.  For instance,  you feel you do not deserve to be happy or that you are not worthy to receive its benefits.  Or maybe you have doubts about happiness because of past experiences in which the idea of being happy did not work out so well.     Another idea you may hold is that this stuff about happiness just doesn't work; it's a sham.   You may think to yourself, "no way, not trying this junk.  It's a waste of time."  There's also the thought that you already are happy so there's no need for more.   All of these possibilities can make you feel resistant.  And guess w

The Key to Sustaining Positive Change

You want to feel more gratitude in life?  What about motivation?  What about calmness? Then try this: have an experience where you feel gratitude.  Just have one.   Here are some examples: to stimulate a feeling of gratitude in response: notice you are alive and breathing.  Listen to your breath.  See what's in front of you. Be grateful for being alive. Notice when you can move.  Be grateful you can move. Notice when somebody smiles at you.  Be grateful somebody smiled at you. The list goes on.  The event or experience need not be big and grandiose like winning a million dollars to get on the train of positivity.   We don't need million dollar moments to be grateful.  If this proves difficult for you to do, that's okay, have patience with yourself and be grateful that you are trying.  It's not supposed to be easy like, well, like when we feel anxious or angry.   That's not you?  Well, for many of us, including myself, those two feelings have had lots o

An Into to Hardwiring Yourself for Happiness

Magicians rarely like to explain their tricks.  Since I'm not a professional magician though, I can let you in on a little magic trick for growing a strong and healthy brain.  Actually, it's a big one.   It's so big in fact that to properly explain it, I need to break down into a series of posts.  In a nutshell, it's about going from a red brain of reactivity to stress to a green brain of calm and contentment in defiance of the stress all around us.   First, however, I must give full credit to Rick Hanson, the source of my inspiration and newfound knowledge on building happiness into my life and yours.  He is a prominent neuropsychologist at UC Berkeley and has written an international bestselling book,  Hardwiring Happiness: the new science of contentment, calm and confidence , which I hope you will read too.  All of what I'm about to say comes from the magic of the discoveries found within the pages of his book and how it's improving quality of life.